Monday, September 10, 2012

Good Citizenship !


A long time ago, when I was in junior high we had Civics class. I am sure I gave perfunctory attention to the definition of "good citizenship". A Google search for GS got me to Wikipedia and an article with a reference to a group called "Good Citizen". From the Good Citizen Website I got the list below.
3. Vote.
Above is a list all Americans can do locally. But others might be added. I shall attempt to add a few more in no priority.
Join the local volunteer fire department or ambulance service.
Attend as much school as you can.
At the proper age enlist in a US military service of choice. (USAF is clearly best)
Help folks when they need it.
Read Kipling's poem "If" (consider his references to male gender to include women) Then analyse each verse.
Work for a town, state, or federal government in any capacity.
Become a nurse, doctor, police officer or spiritual leader.
Become a teacher, or even a principle, and I suppose superintendent too.
Show up for jury duty without an excuse.
It's unfair to note that none of these things mention becoming wealthy at all cost. None mention reading "The Virtue of Selfishness". All require teamwork and cooperation. 

These folks are the leaders of society. Politicians just get them organized.





No comments:

Post a Comment